Exactly two weeks ago I was scrolling through Instagram when I noticed a post from My Home Apparel, a Truro Nova Scotia based company that I have come to really love. I love their products, the people are great to deal with and they give back to the community in a variety of ways throughout the year. They were talking about The Shoebox Project and it caught my attention.
For the past two years or so I have been looking for a cause just like The Shoebox Project that I could help with. A cause that collects items and gifts shoeboxes with contents valued at approximately $50 for women at Christmas time who are experiencing homelessness or are in a difficult situation.Shoebox Making Party this year in donating items, wrapping boxes and making your very own shoeboxes. What is The Shoebox Project? “The Shoebox Project for Women, supported by Dream, collects anddistributes gift-filled Shoeboxes to women impacted by homelessness in communities across Canada and the US. Each throughtfully created and decorated Shoebox is filled with items valued at $50 that can enhance self-esteem and reduce feelings of isolation for women in need.
Shoeboxes are filled with items that would help any woman feel special: gift cards, skin care products, good quality soaps and shampoos, make-up, chocolates, and warm socks and mittens, to name a few suggested items. Donors are also encouraged to include a warm greeting or a message of support in their Shoebox gift.
Since 2011, The Shoebox Project has distributed over 130,000 Shoeboxes, valued at over 6.5 million dollars. Join us in helping to ensure that ALL women in Canada are valued, respected and treated with dignity and compassion.” information sourced from www.shoeboxproject.comWhat goes in a Shoebox?
Download a PDF list hereHere is a short video showing what is in a box and an example of the items you could purchase to have included:
I will be hosting a Shoebox Making Party on December 12, 2018 at 6:30pm in the Pavillion Room at Bathurst City Hall (Here is a link to the Facebook Event with even more information) to wrap boxes, assemble all of the items donated and prepare the boxes to be dropped off for the Bathurst, New Brunswick Chapter.
In the mean-time you are more than welcome to make up your own completed shoebox for the project and drop it off at on of the designated locations (in Bathurst, NB the locations are Vogue Optical, Clinique Médicale de la rive and Andrea Confectionery). OR drop off items at Bathurst City Hall and/or The Port of Belledune during their office hours to be assembled into boxes during the wrapping party on December 12th.How to participate? It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3…
- Donate items at Bathurst City Hall or the Port of Belledune (Nov 28, 2018 to Dec 12, 2018)
- Bring completed boxes to a drop off location (in Bathurst, NB the locations are Vogue Optical, Clinique Médicale de la rive and Andrea Confectionery) or to the Shoebox Making Party (Event Details Here)
- Join the Shoebox Making Party on December 12, 2018 (Event Details Here) to wrap, assemble and met others all for a great cause in our community.
What if I want to contribute but do not have time?
I get it… we’re all busy and may not have time for a little extra shopping. If you are comfortable you can send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let me know you want me to do your shopping for you. Here is how this will work:
- You send me an email and/email money transfer indicating it is for The Shoebox Project (Note: any funds sent are not accepted on behalf of The Shoebox Project, but are accepted on behalf of Jenna MacDonald to purchase items for The Shoebox Project).
- I do your shopping for you and send you a picture of what was purchased to be put in the boxes with the contribution you sent
- Your items get added to the boxes being assembled at the Shoebox Making Party on December 12, 2018
Of course, you may not feel comfortable to do this (don’t worry…I totally understand!) and so I encourage you to contribute in other ways and however you feel the most comfortable.My shoes for that: Warm socks, perfect to be gifted in a shoebox
This post is in no way sponsored
It is simply an initiative that I want to support and hope you will as well