Rock Family Art pieces are some of my favourite things to look at at craft shows and Farmer’s markets. I have previously purchased a rock lighthouse piece from a local maker and have it proudly displaying in Landon & Kate’s gallery wall. BUT, you all know I love a good deal and being creative so making our very own rock families quickly became a little activity for Landon and I.
By creating our own rock family art we were able to create an activity at the beach while also creating some very economical Christmas gifts that hopefully everyone will love.
- Canvas (3 pack of flat canvas from Dollarama)
- 5 X 7 Picture Frame ($2-$3 from Dollarama)
- Other decorations such as branches, sticks, etc. (optional)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Hot Glue Sticks
- Collect Rocks (Beach rocks are ideal, but rocks from anywhere will work. Keep in mind you are searching for heads and bodies. My suggestion is to pick up anything you think will work and worry about putting the people togehter later)
- Lay out the collected rocks on a table. Sort through them to pair up heads and bodies that look good together.
- Keep your design on a plate or directly on the canvas so you can transport the layout if need be.
- Layout the design on the canvas you will be using.
- Pick up one rock at a time, put hot glue on the back of it and place it back into the design. Be sure to hold it down firmly to ensure the rock sticks well to the canvas.
- Remove the back off of the frame you will be using, then remove the glass. Discard the glass safely and keep out of reach of children as the edges are sharp.
- Insert your Rock Family Art into the frame. Put the backing on again and secure in place.
Some may decide to paint rocks before gluing them in place or using a clear coat to give the rocks a shine. These steps are entirely optional and based on the creators preference.
OTHER POSTS YOU MAY LOVE